Re: [exim] Deny vs. Drop

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Deny vs. Drop
On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 03:07:59PM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:

> So - if I'm denying a connection then why shouldn't I just drop the
> connection? Dropping the connection will reduce the number of open
> connections and not count on the sender to close the connection.

Even if you know positively that the sender is a spammer, their SMTP
service will keep reconnecting over and over for each additional
message (if dropped at MAIL/DATA) or recipient (if dropped at RCPT)
that is still queued.

You'll still have the same load of scan processing, and by dropping
instead of rejecting you'll actually increase the load (albeit
slightly) by having to rescan the connection all over from scratch
upon each new reconnection.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???