Re: [exim] problems with retry logic

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Pavel Gulchouck
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] problems with retry logic
On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 02:08:35PM +0100, Philip Hazel writes:

>> root@hamster:~>exim -d+retry -v -q 1FZbYM-000IDB-Hk 1FZbYM-000IDB-Hk

PH> Please try

PH> exim -d+retry -M 1FZbYM-000IDB-Hk

PH> so that it does actually try a delivery (that's what I intended) - but
PH> first see below.

>> Considering: frenzy2008@???
>> unique = frenzy2008@???
>> dbfn_read: key=R:gmail.com
>> dbfn_read: key=R:frenzy2008@???
>> no domain retry record
>> post-process frenzy2008@??? (1)
>> LOG: retry_defer MAIN
>> == frenzy2008@??? routing defer (-51): retry time not reached
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PH> You can find out what it thinks the retry time is by using the exinext
PH> utility. This is a routing retry that will apply just to one address.

When I ran "exim -d+retry -M 1FZbYM-000IDB-Hk", the delivery attempt
was failed with temporary error and message was successfully removed
from the queue as too old. Debug output is ~34K, I'm not sure to include
it here. Here's a log:

May 5 16:13:47 hamster exim[13761]: 1FZbYM-000IDB-Hk == frenzy2008@??? R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (-44): SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<frenzy2008@???>: host gsmtp163.google.com [64.233.163.27]: 450-4.2.1 The Gmail user you are trying to contact is receiving\n450-4.2.1 mail at a rate that prevents additional messages from\n450-4.2.1 being delivered. Please resend your message at a later\n450-4.2.1 time; if the user is able to receive mail at that time,\n450 4.2.1 your message will be delivered. 34si2162847nza
May 5 16:13:47 hamster exim[13761]: 1FZbYM-000IDB-Hk ** frenzy2008@???: retry timeout exceeded
May 5 16:13:47 hamster exim[13761]: 1FZbYM-000IDB-Hk frenzy2008@???: error ignored
May 5 16:13:47 hamster exim[13761]: 1FZbYM-000IDB-Hk Completed

But after this the next message to this recipient is still in the queue
with increased next try time:

root@hamster:~>mailq | head -3
 7d  1.8K 1FZbrw-000HzZ-Up <>
          frenzy2008@???
root@hamster:~>exinext frenzy2008@???
Route: frenzy2008@??? error -44: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<frenzy2008@???>: host gsmtp163.google.com [64.233.163.27]: 450-4.2.1 The Gmail user you are tr
  first failed: 29-Apr-2006 01:35:16
  last tried:   05-May-2006 16:13:47
  next try at:  05-May-2006 22:13:47
  past final cutoff time

PH> You are running 4.60, I seem to recall.

[...]
PH> I am not sure if this will affect routing retries, but I think it might.
PH> So perhaps you should start by upgrading to 4.62.

Ok, thanks, I will try it.

>> I do not understand logic...

PH> One of the problems is that *I* no longer fully understand all of it.
PH> It probably needs somebody to draw out a flowchart or something to try
PH> to see what is going on.

>> Exim should inspect all queue for old messages to the same destination
>> after each delivery attempt of any other message?

PH> Exim always inspects all messages, but if one message has a temporary
PH> error, the remaining messages will see "retry time not reached". BUT, if
PH> they have been on the queue sufficiently long, they should be bounced.

If the problem is still in 4.62, I'll tell you.

Thanks.

--
                                Lucky carrier,
                                                  Pavel.