Re: [exim] Very bizzare Exim related problem

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Very bizzare Exim related problem
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 08:38:29AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:

> The home network lives behind a LINKSYS WRT54G router that acts as a NAT
> and I've set it to port forward specific ports including SMTP to the
> Linux/Exim server. And everything had been working well untill about 2
> weeks ago.
>
> Even though it's a secondary server it is continously bombarded with
> spammers attempting to spam the 500 or so domains I filter for. So the
> connection rate is high.

I'd take a good look at the Linksys as the source of the problem. That
is a residential grade router and its NAT processing engine may not
be able to handle a larger number of unique connections. If the router
is running low on memory/workspace, it could cause severe packet loss
like you are experiencing. It would also explain why shutting down Exim
resolves the problem since that is the destination of those connections.

One way to test this would be to hook up your Exim machine with one
of your external IP addresses and bypass the Linksys completely (just
as a temporary test). If the problems goes away, its time to buy
a different type of router.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???