Re: [exim] Something weird in my reject logs

Author: Chad Leigh
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Something weird in my reject logs

On May 3, 2006, at 3:48 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:

>>> Could some please share what may be wrong.
>>>
>>> 2006-05-02 09:46:42 rejected EHLO from [196.41.13.134]:
>>> syntactically
>>> invalid argument(s): exec_server.spier.co.za
>>> 2006-05-02 09:46:43 rejected HELO from [196.41.13.134]:
>>> syntactically
>>> invalid argument(s): exec_server.spier.co.za
>>>

>> They are connecting and going "EHLO exec_server.spier.co.za". As
>> an _ in
>> a hostname in invalid then its not accepted.
>> Contact the owner of exec_server.spier.co.za and tell them to change
>> their computers hostname.
>>

> It's not necessary to change the hostname, just the string used in
> HELO.
> For some people that's much easier, since changing hostname can
> have all
> sorts of knock on effects.

In my experience, these are almost ALWAYS MS Exchange servers and
there is some magic they can do to fix it. Their overpriced Exchange
consultant will kick and scream and fight about how there is nothing
wrong on their side and everyone else accepts their email but you
just remain steady and show them the RFC(s) that control this issue
and eventually the owners of the box (the "suits") will tell the guy
to fix it or else. And he will, wanting to protect his "gravy
train." I've misplaced it for now, but it helps to have the link of
the Exchange admin site hints place thingy to give that explains how
to do it, as, even though they are high priced consultants, they
usually have no clue on what you are talking about and how to fix
it. (IE, At least one MS Exchange related website has details on how
to do this.)

Chad
who_has_done_this_many_times

---