Re: [exim] URI Blacklists in Exim

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] URI Blacklists in Exim
Stanislaw Halik wrote:

>>>Embedded perl sounds just about right.
>

>>Perhaps. But, as SA itself written in perl, and as it has had a
>>lot of work done on it, it might be less work, and 'good enough'
>>to set up two separate instances of SA, then:
>

>>- strip 'the light one' to the lightweight tests as the above,
>>and perhaps a few more (only) [1]
>

> Making SA lightweight seems to be a futile job. Would require a large
> revamp of code, as even with little or no rulesets, it still takes
> dozens megabytes worth of RAM. Not to even mention that things like MIME
> decoding would be done twice OOTB.
>
> Slightly offtopic: it's bad that no alternative to SA (preferably
> written in C) exists, it seems not to do much more than DNSBL checks,
> MIME decoding, HTML parsing and regexp matching. Even with that, on a
> pretty minimalistic setup, the daemon occupies 110MB of memory. Perl
> seems to show its weight. I hope I'll have enough persistence to create
> something similar, but without that much of a memory footprint.
>
> -- sh

Bit of a two-edged sword there. If one looks at the parsing of
headers, body, attachments, it is all string-handling.

Perl actually does that pretty well. Improving that part would
probably need coding in LISP, not C. Be interesting to see if
matices could be used, and the job coded in apl, J or K.

...ducks and runs .... ;-)

We just work harder to avoid doing it at all. ;-)

Bill