Re: [exim] Maildir Quota excluding Trash folder.

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Maildir Quota excluding Trash folder.
On 4/28/06 8:51 AM, "John Jetmore" <jetmore@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, W B Hacker wrote:
>
>> ...and had delivered the messages into:
>>
>> ~/{domain}/{user}/Maildir/Maildir_create = yes/new
>
> heh, never done it with exim, but I have to admit to creating a folder
> along the line of ~/mail/* ^From:.*@example.com. With great power comes
> great responsibility =).
>
> --John

Here, accounts are set up using our AccountManager, which runs on a machine
which is neither our SMTP cluster nor our POP/IMAP/Webmail server. Part of
the setup code uses RPC to instruct a script on the POP/IMAP server to
create the maildir for the account. The maildir is created with a Spam
folder, and with some sqwebmail files preset appropriately (eg, with a From:
computed from the account information).

Webmail users (choice of sqwebmail or Horde--we're moving toward the latter)
can create folders; so can the occasional IMAP user using her mail client.

Once folders are created, our mail processing (outside Exim) on the SMTP
cluster can sort the mail into one of the folders. The folder information
is carried in a header whose value could be INBOX (or Inbox, I forget),
Spam, or one of the existing folders. (AccountManager only sets up sorting
which puts messages into existing folders.)

Exim on the POP/IMAP/Webmail server computes (does not look up) the
destination for the message based on domain, local part, and the folder
specified in the header. (For convenience of configuration and ease of
counting, we use three routers, for the inbox, the Spam folder, and other
folders.)

We do have a fallback router/transport pair which calls our folder creation
script to make a folder which has gone missing (for example, "clearing" the
Spam folder by deleting it in either Webmail or IMAP client).

So for over 99% of messages, we are indeed pre-creating the maildir and its
Spam folder, and letting the user create other desired folders before mail
can be put there.

No Sieve (it wasn't ready when we put this together, and it is "hard").

--John
Teach a man to fish and you get rid of him for the weekend.