Re: [exim] Exim 4.61 retrying too often?

Autor: Dean Brooks
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim 4.61 retrying too often?
On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 02:33:36PM -0400, Dean Brooks wrote:

> I'm stumped. I've been staring at this for an hour now and can't figure
> out why Exim is retrying this particular message so often. We're using
> Exim 4.61 on Solaris.

I hate to follow up to my own message, but it appears that other
messages that go through to AOL successfully (to 205.188.159.217 in
this example) and end up causing the retry data for the deferred message
to be reset.

However, the manual in chapter 44.2 says this about temporary errors
that occur after end of DATA:

    A temporary error response (4xx), or one of the timeouts, causes all
    addresses to be deferred. Retry data is not created for the host, but
    instead, a retry record for the combination of host plus message id is
    created. The message is not added to the list of those waiting for this
    host. This ensures that the failing message will not be sent to this host
    again until the retry time arrives.

This would indicate to me that successful deliveries to 205.188.159.217
would not cause a redelivery attempt for the message that was deferred
for a 421 error, but it appears to be doing exactly that.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Dean Brooks
General Manager
IgLou Internet Services, Inc.          Telephone (502) 966-3848 x1124
3315 Gilmore Industrial Blvd.          Facsimile (502) 968-0449
Louisville, Kentucky  40213            E-mail dean@???