Re: [exim] several messages

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Javier Calahorra Novillo, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] several messages
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Javier Calahorra Novillo wrote:

> Ok, thanks for your help. What we needed was something like this:
>
> /mailboxes/javi/Maildir/new
>                cur
>                tmp
>                .myfolder
>                .myfolder/new
>                .myfolder/cur
>                .myfolder/tmp

> But seeing that it's not possible with exim directly, I will create
> additional folders by using the maildirmake command.

That *is* possible with Exim directly. What is not possible up to Exim
4.61 is to create the .../Maildir/.myfolder/maildirfolder file. However,
there has just been some discussion and change on this issue.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Marc Sherman wrote:

> > Why? Is it mandatory to have those directories? This would prevent
> > somebody having *only* subfolders and no "main" folder.
>
> By my read of the maildir++ spec, it is, in fact, mandatory. However,
> that's no reason for Exim to require it; be liberal in what you accept
> and all that. I think that logging a warning when creating
> "maildirfolder" in a dir that matches the regex but isn't within a valid
> maildir would be a very good idea, however.

I have just committed some new code to the CVS (so that it will be in
tonight's snapshot, and in the 4.62 release, which I want to get out
next week - because of the other changes, which are bugfixes). The new
code implements

maildirfolder_create_regex = a regular expression

If the pattern matches the directory in which {new,cur,tmp} are to be
found or created, then a file called maildirfolder, in the same
directory, is created if it does not already exist.

I have NOT implemented any test (and therefore no warnings or defers)
for {new,cur,tmp} in the superior directory. My reasoning is that, if
this were done, the sysadmin would have to pre-create those directories
in case the first message was delivered by Exim into a subfolder. If you
are going to do pre-creation anyway, you might as well pre-create
everything and not bother with maildirfolder_create_regex at all.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.