[exim] Strange envelope-from when using authentication...

Autor: Jeffrey Overman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Strange envelope-from when using authentication...
Hi,

I'm trying to setup SMTP authentication with exim 4.60. Is use a virtual
domain/user setup with a mysql backend. I've added the following CRAM-MD5
authenticator to my config:

------//-----
lookup_cram:
  driver = cram_md5
  public_name = CRAM-MD5
  server_secret = ${lookup mysql{ \
    SELECT passwords.pa_cleartext_password \
    FROM passwords, recipients, domains \
    WHERE recipients.re_domain_id = domains.do_id \
      AND recipients.re_id = passwords.pa_recipient_id \
      AND recipients.re_recipient = '${quote_mysql:${local_part:$1}}' \
      AND domains.do_domain = '${quote_mysql:${domain:$1}}';} \
  {$value}fail}
  server_set_id = $1
------//-----

This works fine. My users get authenticated and are able to relay mail.
However, the envelope-from looks like '<"user@???"@$qualify_domain>'
for all messages sent by authenticated users. This is not what I want
of course :)

I've added the following to the acl_smtp_rcpt ACL to see what
$authenticated_id contains after authentication:

------//------
  warn    message       = X-Authenticated-User: $authenticated_id
          authenticated = *
------//------

The variable contains the right value, i.e. 'user@???', which is what
I'd like to see in the envelope-from as well.

Why is the value of $qualify_domain added? I assume 'user@???' is
qualified enough so it shouldn't need to be further qualified.

I didn't find any clues in the online docs (chapters 33 - 37) regarding this
issue. Did I overlook something or is it mentioned elsewhere in the docs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeffrey
--
Workers of the world, arise! You have nothing to lose but your
chairs.