Re: [exim] HELP I get an all MX records point to non-existen…

Author: Christian Schmidt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] HELP I get an all MX records point to non-existent hosts
Hello Tony,

Tony Heal, 21.04.2006 (d.m.y):

> I am trying to set up a mail server to only send emails. This is a remote
> clients site. The server is debian sarge with exim4 v 4.50-8

Do aou want your exim to send mails directly to their destination, or
do you want to deliver it via another smarthost?
You need the answer to this question before you proceed in configuring
your MTA.

> When I run dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config and select smarthost I am able to
> send mail to the clients domain only. If I select internet I am able to send
> mail to outside the clients domain only.

No, but you'll have to tell your exim which host names and domains it
has to consider as local domains.

> With internet selected I get an error stating that all relevant MX records
> point to non-existent hosts'

Which host/domain names did you try this with?

> Their email is working fine and there are no
> problems with the MX records for their domain.

Who is "they"?

> I have tried to reconfigure exim4 with other settings, including changing
> mailname to other than their domain,

"mailname" is you system's name. Mails to this domain will be treated
as local mails by exim.

> changing hosts to remove their domain
> for the servername, changing hosts to add the hostname/ip address of their
> mail server and several other things that made no real difference.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of how to get exim4 to simply send out emails, I
> have no use in receiving email at this server for any reason. The emails it
> sends out are for notifications of things that have occurred on this server
> alone.

Just configure your exim so that its settings fit your local host- and
domain name. Then try to submit a mail and take a look into exim's
logs.

I often work with Debian systems, nevertheless (and
unfortunately), I could not yet get familiar with the "Debian-way" of
configuring exim4 - although the maintainers are IMO always very busy
in answering questions related to Debian's exim4*-Packages.
Not only on this mailing list, but also on the exim4-pkg mailing list.

=> Thanks to Marc and Andreas!

Back to your problem: Maybe you'll get your exim to do what you want
when you look at the "normal" configuration file that can be found in
/var/lib/exim4.

Regards,
Christian Schmidt

--
Es gibt keine größere Illusion als die Meinung, Sprache sei ein
Mittel der Kommunikation zwischen Menschen.