[exim] TLS Problem #1

Autor: Doug Jolley
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] TLS Problem #1
Hi --

I have a couple of TLS problems and I have
decided to tackle them one at a time.

My first problem is that in response to this:

$ openssl s_client -connect localhost:25
-starttls smtp

I get this:

CONNECTED(00000003)
24185:error:140770FC:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
protocol:s23_clnt.c:475:
$

I get the same error message under a variety of
circumstances including attempts to connect from
various remote machines. However, SOME remote
machines allow me to connect and for the most
part do what one would expect. The fact that I
can connect from some remote machines with a fair
degree of success leads me to believe that I'm
not dealing with an Exim configuration error.
Can anyone provide any insight as to what is
going on here? Just for general info, here are
the relevant stanzas from the Authenticators
section of my Exim config file:

# Support for plain text password authentication.
  fixed_plain:
      driver = plaintext
      public_name = PLAIN
      server_advertise_condition = ${if
eq{$tls_cipher}{}{no}{yes}}
      server_prompts = :
      server_condition =
${lookup{$2}lsearch{/etc/exim/plaintext_pass}{${if
eq{$value}{$3}{yes}{no}}}
{no}}

# Support for login authentication.
  fixed_login:
      driver = plaintext
      public_name = LOGIN
      server_advertise_condition = ${if
eq{$tls_cipher}{}{no}{yes}}
      server_prompts = Username:: : Password::

server_condition=${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/exim/plaintext_pass}{${if
eq{$value}{$2}{yes}{no}}}{no}}
      server_set_id = $1

Thanks for any input.

     ... doug