[exim] mail bounced during network outage

Autor: Peter D. Gray
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] mail bounced during network outage
2 days ago we had a network outage when our routing tables went
berzerk. The outage lasted about 15 minutes.
BUT, during the outage at leats some email bounced on our
main MTA machines, runing exim 4.54

The bounce messages are very strange, at least to me. I put the error
messages below.

This mail was new (at the time) being processed for the first
time when the network outage occurred.

Does anybody know why this happened? Note that my retry
times are reasonable, and we have never had any such
problems before.

Mesage 1 contained:

>This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
>
>A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
>
>  XXXX@???
>    retry timeout exceeded

>------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

while message 2 (to the same address) contained: