Re: [exim] verify = sender

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] verify = sender
Ben Story wrote:

> We've been having some problems with the require verify = sender line of
> our exim config with Postini's outbound SMTP servers.

So, mail coming in from Postini's customers to you?

It just checks that the sender address is routable. (unless you have the
"callout" option enabled, which changes things a lot). Typically (i.e.
unless you have an unusual config, which should almost certainly not be
the case for non-local domains) this just involves looking the sender
domain up in DNS and seeing if it has at least one plausible server to
send mail to (i.e. either the domain has at least one MX with an IP that
is not in ignore_target_hosts, or it has an A record pointing to an IP
that is not in ignore_target_hosts).

i.e. try doing "exim -bt [senderaddress]" and see what happens. If it
looks like Exim can route the mail, then "verify = sender" on an
incoming mail from that sender address should be OK.

Tim