[exim] Virtual/Reseller Exim SMTP with dedicated IP/hostname

Author: Paul Rupp
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Virtual/Reseller Exim SMTP with dedicated IP/hostname
Hello All,

I have just set up a shared hosting account on a commercial webserver with
access to Exim. I sprung for a dedicated IP, and the system administrator
sets reverse DNS for me. I noticed, of course, given the standard
configuration for Exim, that when I send messages through "my" smtp server,
it picks up the IP of the shared host, and the hostname of the main system,
and these are inserted into e-mail headers.

What changes do we need to make to the configuration of Exim so that
whenever a client/shared domain sends mail through Exim, Exim picks up the
IP and hostname of the hosted domain rather than the default shared IP and
system hostname? The solution should work for domains that are on the
shared IP, as well as domains that have a dedicated IP. Shared IP domains
of course will show the system hostname and IP, and dedicated IP domains
should show the results of the reverse DNS for the hostname and the
dedicated IP.

I sincerely apologize if this is common knowledge- I have searched
everywhere I can think of over the space of about two weeks, and though I
see the question has been asked once or twice, I have never found an answer.
I have never run Exim myself and am a Linux newbie- and my system
administrator is not sure how to do this either.

It seems like shared hosts with dedicated IP's everywhere would be asking
how to do this- especially resellers. You don't really want your clients
looking at their e-mail headers, then going straight to your provider!

Any thoughts?

TIA

Paul Rupp
Acorp Computers
Albuquerque, NM
www.acorp.net

For more information or a free brochure call:
(505) 890-8580 [Office]
(505) 450-8580 [Cell]
(888) 450-8580 [Toll-Free]