Re: [exim] Tools for SQL export to CDB

Author: David Saez Padros
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Tools for SQL export to CDB
Hi !!

>> the problem with sqlite and also with dbm databases is that writing to
>> the database locks all database (read/write) and only one process can
>> update the database (only one write lock) and while the database is
>> being updated no process can read it, so frequent updates make reading
>> the database slower. As cdb is read only no locking is required.
>
> Agreed, but have you actually measured it? SQLite updating is really
> fast, even for hundreds of transactions per second (my usage test here).
> That's why I mentioned a comparison... guesses aren't necessarily
> worth much :)

no, i never have measured it, nor i never see a good comparision of
both databases. What i'm sure is that cdb is faster on reads than
sqlite for many reasons (sql command parsing, file locking, ...)
but maybe the read/write speed compensates for the 5 minutes whole
database rebuild (some day in the near future i will try to measure
it, but by now the cpu load for all of it is good for me)

--
Best regards ...

    On-Line Services 2000 S.L.       e-mail  david@???
    Pintor Vayreda 1                 telf    +34 902 50 29 75
    08184 Palau-Solita i Plegamans   movil   +34 670 35 27 53