Re: [exim] Not rejecting mail forwarded from friendly hosts

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Not rejecting mail forwarded from friendly hosts
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Richard Clayton wrote:

| In message <200604121721.24914@???>, Magnus Holmgren
| <holmgren@???> writes

| >Now, for mail from some hosts (different for each user), instead of rejecting
| >we just tag it. That will *not* cause a lot of legitimate email to be
| >rejected.
|
| correct, but your users may not be impressed. There you were, 99.9%
| certain that it was spam and you put it into their inbox anyway, just
| because the previous hop was a competently run MTA...

OK, but there *is* a school of thought that says we should not 5xx in this
situation, as we will induce the forwarding MTA to generate collateral spam.
Hence we are to some degree responsible for said collateral spam, and made
to feel a bit guilty.

It's nice to have your support for the action (5xx) we take - thanks!