[exim] Plain Authentication Problems

Autor: Doug Jolley
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Plain Authentication Problems
Hi --

I just wanted the list to know that I solved my
problem. The problem was that a concluding
newline character somehow got included in
"\0doug\0sugar" apparently before I encoded it.
So, $3 really didn't have the value "sugar". It
had the value "sugar\n".

I should have investigated the possibility of a
non-printable character earlier. I was lulled
into thinking that was not the case because I
can't get the authentication to work with
Outlook. In fact that's how I got into testing
it in the first place. So, I reasoned that even
if I had encoded it improperly, Outlook would
encode it correctly and it would work with
Outlook.

So, anyway, I'm now left with the situation where
it works when I do it by hand but it doesn't work
with Outlook. If anyone has any ideas why that
might be, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for your
indulgence.

      ... doug