Re: [exim] TLS error on connection

Author: Dave Lugo
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS error on connection
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Jeremy Harris wrote:

> Dave Lugo wrote:
> > My apologies if this has come up before, I did check the list archive,
> > but didn't really find an answer.
> >
> > A remote client seems to have trouble sending to my exim:
> >
> > Apr 10 15:42:54 spot exim[13343]: TLS error on connection from
> > hawk.ummail.com (hawk.sc1.ummail.com) [66.187.250.51]:48508 (SSL_accept):
> > error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)
>
> When I see that I generally assume it's a client that never bothers
> to speak to me. I must admit I've never followed it up,
> but a quick telnet to my :465 - closed without sending data -
> gets it.
>
> Are you certain he's supposed to be using SSL-on-connect?
> Not proper TLS, negotiated after EHLO?

erm - I thought that _was_ proper TLS, negotiated after EHLO.

from spec.txt:

|tls_advertise_hosts     | Use: main  |  Type: host list*  |    Default:
unset|

When Exim is built with support for TLS encrypted connections, the
availability of the STARTTLS command to set up an encrypted session is
advertised in response to EHLO only to those client hosts that match this
option. See chapter 38 for details of Exim's support for TLS.

The session _seems_ to start, but then craps out before the client sends
the second EHLO.

Dave Lugo   dlugo@???    LC Unit #260   TINLC