[exim] endpass absent

Author: Doug Jolley
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] endpass absent
For sometime I've wondered why I have so much
trouble getting into my head how the accept verb
works. Today, it came to me. The documentation
tells us that if any of the conditions are not
met what happens depends on whether endpass is
present. It then goes on to explain that if the
failing condition is before endpass, control is
passed to the next statement. If it is after
endpass, the ACL returns deny. However, it
really doesn't tell us how the verb behaves if a
condition is not met and endpass is not present
at all. I'm assuming that in that case, control
is passed to the next statement. So, in order to
get an accept verb to deny, the endpass modifier
must be present and the failing condition must be
after it. In the absence of the endpass
modifier, control is always passed to the next
ACL if there is a failing condition. Am I
looking at this correctly? I hope that I didn't
just say something stupid! :)

Thanks.

      ... doug