Re: [exim] SMTP timeout sending mail to gmail

Autor: Daniel Webb
A: John W. Baxter
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] SMTP timeout sending mail to gmail
On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 08:33:27PM -0700, John W. Baxter wrote:

> As with several others, our sends to Gmail go fine. (Both from our general
> outgoing mail servers and from our mailing list server.)

I figured out how to make it not happen:

I had the MTU for my mail server set to 1500 while the router was 400 (I use
such a small MTU because it greatly improves the quality of my VoIP calls).
When I changed the mail server MTU to 400 as well, the mails to gmail go
through again.

I'm still unsure if this is a problem on my end or gmail's. Why would all
other mails go through fine but not to gmail?

> It's quite possible Gmail doesn't like this combination (assuming that you
> send to this list via the same machine your server sends to Gmail:
>
> $host danielwebb.us
> danielwebb.us has address 64.81.101.157
> [$host 64.81.101.157
> 157.101.81.64.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
> dsl081-101-157.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net.
>
> Speakeasy will provide explicit DNS, assuming you are on a fixed IP, which
> is probably a good assumption. We bought a line from competitor Speakeasy
> to have a DSL connection which did not depend on our DSL equipment or our
> ATM feed...when turned up, it had the prior customer's reverse DNS (which
> Speakeasy quickly fixed when told of it).

Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought they only did reverse DNS for
business customers, but that's not true. I put in a request just now.

That wasn't the cause of the connection problem, but it will probably keep me
out of some spam folders (my mails have gone to "bulk" at Yahoo on an off for
a couple of years).