Re: [exim] Where to rate limit appropriately to keep system …

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Casey Allen Shobe
CC: exim-users, Tony Finch
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Where to rate limit appropriately to keep system load undercontrol
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:

> On Friday 07 April 2006 11:21, Tony Finch wrote:
> > > I don't think split_spool_directory will help with my filesystem (JFS).
> >
> > It makes Exim's queue handling more efficient.
>
> According to the documentation, it only helps on filesystems which suffer from
> performance problems when dealing with directories containing many files,
> IIRC. Can't hurt to try though.

Quote from spec.txt, from the description of split_spool_directory:

When split_spool_directory is set, the behaviour of queue runner
processes changes. Instead of creating a list of all messages in the
queue, and then trying to deliver each one in turn, it constructs a
list of those in one sub-directory and tries to deliver them, before
moving on to the next sub-directory. The sub-directories are processed
in a random order. This spreads out the scanning of the input
directories, and uses less memory. It is particularly beneficial when
there are lots of messages on the queue. However, if
queue_run_in_order is set, none of this new processing happens. The
entire queue has to be scanned and sorted before any deliveries can
start.