Re: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse

Author: Steve Hill
To: Adam Funk
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Adam Funk wrote:

> As I understand it, the MAIL FROM address is what ends up in the
> Sender: header and is where bounces go, right? So I'd rather not have
> my mailhub modifying it. When I send an e-mail from home with my work
> address in the From: header, for example, I want any bounces to go
> back to my work address. I don't want bounces going to my
> ISP-provided mail account, because I don't use it (because their mail
> system is crap).

I think you should be sending your mail via your work's authenticated SMTP
relay (and yes, I'm aware they probably don't run one :). This is a
requirement anyway if your work published SPF records for the domain.

This does of course also mean that you can't register a domain name via a
3rd-party registrar and send mail from that domain via your ISP's mail
servers (since your ISP has no idea that you own that domain).

--

  - Steve
    xmpp:steve@???   sip:steve@???   http://www.nexusuk.org/