Re: [exim] Complex file parsing into IP address list

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Complex file parsing into IP address list
Tony Finch wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Tim Jackson wrote:

>> This works fine, but I'd like to get the unique IP addresses listed in this
>> file into a local_interfaces option.

> What for? The point of the multiple personality setup is to avoid having
> to tell Exim what to listen on.

Surely it's to allow it to have multiple personalities on different
interfaces? (Well, that's what I'm doing). That's subtly distinct from
telling it what interfaces to listen on. There might be interfaces that
the machine has which aren't used for SMTP purposes and therefore it
would be nice not to listen on them. (Firewalling etc. can help, of
course, but it would be nice not to have the daemon listening in the
first place).

I do have a "fallback" personality which is used for "unconfigured"
interfaces that gives appropriate SMTP errors ("RCPT 550 This interface
is not in use for SMTP" or words to that effect) but in some cases I'd
rather Exim wasn't answering at all.

> In any case, it's better to do this kind of thing with a perl script and a
> make file than with string expansions.

Well, that was my original idea - you've just validated it :) I already
have a Makefile which builds dbm's etc of various lookup tables so it
can go in there - I was just trying to avoid the extra intermediate
file. Thanks for the comments.

Tim