Re: [exim] Exim rewrites Return-Path when it's configured to

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumptes vells: Re: [exim] Exim rewrites Return-Path when it shouldn't
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim rewrites Return-Path when it's configured to
Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> This should probably be
>   control       = submission/sender_retain

> Otherwise, Exim seems to take $authenticated_id and adds the default
> domain.

Actually, the best solution is:

control = submission/domain=

This causes submission mode to use the $authenticated_id as the
complete, fully qualified address, so the return path of the messages
will be set to the login ID without further qualification. The quotes
the OP had complained about were caused because a local part containing
an @ symbol must be quoted to be a valid email address, and without the
domain= option, submission mode uses $authenticated_id as the local part
for the sender/return path, and qualifies it with the $qualify_domain.

http://exim.org/exim-html-4.60/doc/html/spec.html/ch43.html#SECTthesenhea

I'd recommend that you do allow exim to rewrite the return path in this
way; it prevents your users from spoofing their return paths. One
benefit is that when a user sends a message From: a shared role address
(such as "ithelpdesk@???"), bounces will go to the actual
sender, not to everyone subscribed to the role address.

- Marc