RE: [exim] Dropping SMTP connections, client says it's sent,…

Author: Ring, John C
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] Dropping SMTP connections, client says it's sent, serversaysnothing.
>>I'm having an issue with one person (of course it's the CEO) - he's
>>using Outlook 2000 as his MUA, and somtimes he has mail that looks
>>like it delivers, but in our mainlog there's no entry, the reject log

has:

>>2006-03-23 15:47:12 SMTP call from (copper) [172.16.128.181] dropped:
>>too many nonmail commands (last was "RSET")
>>
>>Any ideas on whats happening and what could be done to correct this?
>
>1. Fix your CEO's MUA so that it doesn't send so much SMTP crap.
>2. Change the value of smtp_accept_max_nonmail or smtp_accept_max_
> nonmail_hosts.

Does he have the Yahoo! IM client installed on his machine? Recently I
discovered that the Yahoo! IM client has added port TCP/25 to the list
of ports it uses to try and bypass firewall restrictions. If you do a
packet capture it'll be pretty clear if that's what is generating the
traffic.

--
John C. Ring, Jr.
jcring@???

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to
govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would
be necessary." -- James Madison