[exim] mailq on MX secondary filling up with '550 unknown us…

Author: Alain Williams
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] mailq on MX secondary filling up with '550 unknown user'
On my primary I have an ACL to verify the recipient and if this fails refuse to accept
which results in a '550 unknown user' being sent. This is standard, fine and works well.

My MX secondary receives it's share of username-generation spam attacks, when it tries
to forward this cr*p onto my primary, the primary bounces them (see above).
The problem is that my MX secondary holds onto these and retries, this fills up
the mailq, etc.

How can I get the MX secondary to bounce (or preferably discard) such mail ?

I have considered putting a list of users on my MX secondary and doing a check at RCPT
time, but would rather avoid that: extra work maintaining the list, ...

I need to be careful to distinguish 'unknown user' from other 550, such as over quota/...

TIA

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.