[exim] "mail from" issue to some hosts in exim 4.60

Author: Rick Duvall
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] "mail from" issue to some hosts in exim 4.60
I just upgraded to exim 4.60 from 4.42 and I notice that I am getting the
following in my msglog folder for some hosts (I have changed the IP's and
hostname of the host in this message for security reasons)...

2006-03-21 00:28:49 Remote host email.somehost.com [12.12.12.12] closed
connection in response to MAIL FROM:<"rduvall@???>
SIZE=1746

2006-03-21 00:28:49 accounting@??? R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer
(-18): Remote host email.somehost.com [12.12.12.12] closed connection in
response to MAIL FROM:<"rduvall@???> SIZE=1746

I am using SMTP AUTH with plaintext USER authentication. Username is
rduvall@???. In exim 4.42, the MAIL FROM would be
"rduvall@???". Now it has changed to
"rduvall@???.

I see in the doc/ChangeLog the following (line numbers noted):

1633 26. If the domain in control=submission is set empty, Exim assumes that
the

   1634     authenticated id is a complete email address when it generates From:
or
   1635     Sender: header lines.

1726 6. When Exim created an email address using the login of the caller as
the

   1727     local part (e.g. when creating a From: or Sender: header line), it
was not

   1728     quoting the local part when it contained special characters such as
@.

It seems to me that this could be related to my problem. Perhpas not. Under
the SMTP AUTH, the full e-mail address is used as the username. How do I get it
to use the "From" address in the MAIL FROM, or at least the username without
modifying source?

Sincerely,

Rick Duvall