[exim] maildir and filters

Autor: Dave Hartburn
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] maildir and filters
Can anyone offer some advice on a maildir and filter problem?

The major issue is that this problem concerns my private e-mail on a
hosted server, rather than anything I administer for work. So, I am
limited to what I can do.

The hosters have recently changed to the courier maildir format, from the
standard unix mbox. I used to use a few suffixes in my e-mail, such as
-junkmail or -work, to seperate mostly unwanted mail from everything else.

Since the helpful change over, the filters still deliver into the mbox
files, but these are unreadable by the imap server, as this looks for the
new style mailboxes.

As a test, I have set up the following in my .forward file:
if
$header_to: contains "dave-bob"
then
save /home/dave/mail/xxxxxxxx/dave/.bob/
save "/home/dave/mail/xxxxxxxx/dave/dump"
endif

This should deliver two copies of mails to dave-bob, one into the maildir
format folder, .bob, and the other into the mbox file 'dump'. Bob fails,
but 'dump' works and I can not get access to the logs, which would
probably help a lot.

Testing with -bf gives:
 /usr/sbin/exim -bf ~/mail_filters <dump
Sender taken from "From " line
Return-path taken from "Return-path:" header line
Return-path = dave@???
Sender      = dave@???
Recipient   = davidh@???
Testing Exim filter file "/home/davidh/mail_filters"

Save message to: /home/davidh/mail/samndave.org.uk/dave/.bob/
Save message to: /home/davidh/mail/samndave.org.uk/dave/dump
Filtering set up at least one significant delivery or other action.
No other deliveries will occur.

The useful bits from the config file are:

local_delivery:
driver = appendfile
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
directory =
"${extract{5}{:}{${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/passwd}{$value}}}}/mail"
maildir_format
group = mail
mode = 0660
return_path_add
user = $local_part

userforward:
#!!# filter renamed allow_filter
driver = redirect
allow_filter
check_ancestor
check_local_user
domains = ! lsearch;/etc/userdomains
no_expn
file = $home/.forward
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
reply_transport = address_reply
no_verify

Is there anything anyone can suggest, keeping in mind I can not change the
config files? Conversations with the hosting sites support team suggest
they may not be happy if they realised I had been poking around so much!

Thanks

Dave Hartburn