[exim] Re: Connection refused: too many connections - why?

Author: Jürgen Herz
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: Connection refused: too many connections - why?
Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

>> exiwhat says "handling incoming connection from smtp-send.myrealbox.com
>> [151.155.5.143]". With idling I meant they don't consume CPU time.
>>

> Do you use TLS for incoming messages?
> (On Linux sometimes /dev/random (which is used by exim) doesn't generate
> enough entropy.)

Ah, ah, not again.
You're right that the entropy available is low (currently 2) and I
noticed that can be a problem for dovecot regenerating keys every day.
But until now I didn't have exim problems I connected with this.

Since the connections from myrealbox com in with
X=TLS-1.0:DHE_RSA_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA:24, I guess you're right.
Will have to change this setting and see if it gets better.

Though I don't see what causes exim keep these child processes running
for hours. netstat says about those connections:
tcp       89      0 192.168.0.1:25    smtp-send.myrealb:50333 CLOSE_WAIT

So, the remote end doesn't keep it alive.

Jürgen