Re: [exim] notifications of delivery failures

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] notifications of delivery failures
On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:02:41AM +0200, Angel Tsankov said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
> >I am not sure how one could know, given the amount of information
> >presented, but I don't believe that's the problem. Did the second MTA
> >get a 5xx at delivery time?
>
> I think the second MTA got this:
> smx.abv.bg: 552 sorry, that message size exceeds my databytes limit

So it got an smtp time reject from one of the secondary MX's. Perhaps
they are configured differently? This seems to point at it not being
a bounce issue. As they don't offer SIZE to EHLO, it's not trivially
testable without trying to send an email.

> >Did it get a bounce message later? Do you
> >have exim configured to reject bounces for some reason?
>
> How do I check if exim is configured to reject bounces?

Try a debug session - exim -bh ip.ad.dr.ess and then go through the smtp
session:

helo pmx.abv.bg
mail from:<>
rcpt to:<you@???>
quit

Or just use exigrep on your logs.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Wit, n.:  The salt with which the       |
|  steve@???             | American Humorist spoils his cookery    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | ... by leaving it out.   -- Ambrose     |
|                                | Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"        |