Re: [exim] Hostname rejected

Autor: Jérôme Warnier
A: List exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Hostname rejected
Le mercredi 15 mars 2006 à 10:51 +0000, Stephen Gran a écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:35:32AM +0100, Jérôme Warnier said:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I have a small problem with Exim4 on Debian Sarge (just to define the
> > setup, it is probably not related to the distribution at all):
> > One of my users tries to send a mail which gets rejected because of this
> > (I purposedly changed the names):
>
> That generally speaking makes debugging harder, but I can see the answer
> anyway in this case.

Of course, I changed them smartly ;-)

> > A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
> > recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
> > failed:
> >
> >   rainotte@???
> >     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
> > TO:<rainotte@???>:
> >     host savs.dauprine.nl [X.X.X.X]: 504 <totosrv>:
> >     Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

> > While the sending /etc/mailname is "gogo.org" and configuration of Exim
> > shows absolutely no "totosrv", while "totosrv" is indeed the hostname of
> > the machine.
>
> You need to do one of two things:
>
> Fix your hostname resolution. This is my favored approach - it involves
> editing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname to make your machine know it's
> real, internet addreessable hostname. Then exim will use the real name
> automatically.

This machine is behind a firewall, so I don't like to change its name to
a name which actually belongs to another machine.

> Set $primary_hostname to your internet addressable name in your
> exim configuration. Details of how to do this (depending on
> which way of handling configuration of exim on a Debian system you
> have chosen) are best discovered on the Debian exim mailing list,
> pkg-exim4-users@???.

I know rather well the Debian packaging of Exim, so this is not a
problem to me. I'll have to add a few lines in the template and add a
line in update-exim4.conf to define a value (hostname).

Thanks a lot for your quick answer and help.