Re: [exim] Hostname rejected

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Stephen Gran
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Hostname rejected
On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:35:32AM +0100, Jérôme Warnier said:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a small problem with Exim4 on Debian Sarge (just to define the
> setup, it is probably not related to the distribution at all):
> One of my users tries to send a mail which gets rejected because of this
> (I purposedly changed the names):

That generally speaking makes debugging harder, but I can see the answer
anyway in this case.

> recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
> failed:
>
>   rainotte@???
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
> TO:<rainotte@???>:
>     host savs.dauprine.nl [X.X.X.X]: 504 <totosrv>:
>     Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

> While the sending /etc/mailname is "gogo.org" and configuration of Exim
> shows absolutely no "totosrv", while "totosrv" is indeed the hostname of
> the machine.

You need to do one of two things:

Fix your hostname resolution. This is my favored approach - it involves
editing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname to make your machine know it's
real, internet addreessable hostname. Then exim will use the real name
automatically.

Set $primary_hostname to your internet addressable name in your
exim configuration. Details of how to do this (depending on
which way of handling configuration of exim on a Debian system you
have chosen) are best discovered on the Debian exim mailing list,
pkg-exim4-users@???.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Veni, Vidi, VISA:  I came, I saw, I did |
|  steve@???             | a little shopping.                      |