Re: [exim-dev] Changing received_header_text default?

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Changing received_header_text default?
On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:35:33PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> If the original subject was long enough that the one added 'Re: ' takes
> it over 80 characters, then yes, re-folding is appropriate. But note
> that the _user_ still gets editorial control, and can edit it as desired
> to put the line break somewhere more appropriate than the place the
> software chose.

I never saw a client that shows where its encoding method would fold
the line, and I don't want to know. I want to edit the subject line
and really hope that's what the recipient gets.

If I decided to put line breaks at certain points, they should be
MIME-encoded and transmitted as they are, none removed, none added (I
am not sure right now if that is allowed, though). Anything else may
end up with some line breaks set by me, and possibly some by the MUA,
and the recipient can't know of which kind they are, because the message
was modified after I wrote it.

MIME-encoded line breaks, should they be allowed in headers, are
something completely different and should be shown as they are.

Michael