Re: [exim] Customizing bounce message

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Christian Gregoire
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Customizing bounce message
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Christian Gregoire wrote:

> For security reasons, I need to remove the string "generated from AAA@BBB" in bounce messages :
>
> **********************************************************************************
> A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients.
> The following address(es) failed:
>
>   qasdezssqq@???
>     (generated from AAA@BBB)
>     SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
>     host mx3.mail.yahoo.com [64.156.215.8]: 554 delivery error:
>     dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account (qasdezssqq@???) [0] - mta316.mail.scd.yahoo.com

> ------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Exim manual -> Index -> bounce message ->
redirection details; suppressing -> 213

That leads you to hide_child_in_errmsg. Hmm. That does the opposite of
what you want - it hides qasdezssqq@???, which is what most people
want to hide for security reasons. After all, AAA@BBB was the address
that the sender used, so why is it secret? However, for this particular
error, there is also a problem with the error message, where the
generated address is quoted again.

Maybe you'll have to completely replace the bounce message. See section
45.1 "Customizing bounce messages". No, that doesn't stop Exim including
the error message either. Sorry, I think you'll have to hack.

Well, maybe not. If you can recognize these messages in a router, you
could arrange to deliver them via a transport filter that hides what you
want to hide.