[exim] Re: How to substitute colon `:' for another character…

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: How to substitute colon `:' for another character in?maildir_format delivery file name?
My BSD <MyBSD@???> wrote:
[...]
> The problem is not really Samba but Windows.

> The cron job is to backup Maildirs from an OS/X host to a smb share on
> a Windows server mounted with "mount_smbfs."

> Because, as far as I know, file names in Windows may not contain a
> colon, the Windows server will under no circumstances accept a file
> name that contains a colon.

[...]

Perhaps mounting as cifs instead of smbfs and using this mount option
-----------------------------
mapchars

    Translate six of the seven reserved characters (not backslash, but
    including the colon, question mark, pipe, asterik, greater than
    and less than characters) to the remap range (above 0xF000), which
    also allows the CIFS client to recognize files created with such
    characters by Windows's POSIX emulation. This can also be useful
    when mounting to most versions of Samba (which also forbids
    creating and opening files whose names contain any of these seven
    characters). This has no effect if the server does not support
    Unicode on the wire.
might work.
           cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute