Re: [exim] aliases, :fail:, include text from a file?

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Troy Engel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] aliases, :fail:, include text from a file?
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Troy Engel wrote:

> > job-1234: :fail: ${readfile{/some/file}{}}
>
> Hmmmm, this doesn't quite work like I expected. What I want to happen is that
> the person is emailed back the contents of the file (like a vacation reply),
> but instead what I get is this text during the SMTP conversation (in
> Thunderbird, a really huge dialog box :) ).

Ah, sorry, I wasn't thinking straight. That isn't going to work.

> I'm looking at my userforward router (with FAQ_4.html#TOC156 applied) and
> vacation router, but don't see the proper way to do what I want. Maybe I don't
> want to use :fail: in my aliases file?

An Exim filter would be an easier way to do this. It has a proper "mail"
command that can take data from a file. However, in order to do that you
need to accept the email rather than verifying at SMTP time.

Actually, trying to send back a long message at SMTP time isn't always
useful because some clients won't show it to the user, and it can be
clumsy, as you've found.