Re: Antwort: [exim] 552 remote quota errors

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: exim users
Subject: Re: Antwort: [exim] 552 remote quota errors

On 6 Mar 2006, at 17:12, srunschke@??? wrote:

> exim-users-bounces@??? schrieb am 06.03.2006 16:58:47:
>
>> Exim treats remote 552 (quota) errors as permanent, they should be
>> treated as temporary errors instead, shouldn't they?
>
> 5xx errors are always permanent, that's why it starts with 5 ;)
> 552 is not necessarily a quota error btw.

you are indeed correct when you say that in this case, quota error,
452 should be returned.
Unfortunately in Italy the number of mailservers that are
administered without a clue is awfully high. Tiscali.it in one of those.
I must say that I do not see any reason why 552 could be returned for
any sensible permanent error though, can you find one?
The other use of 552 mentioned by 2821, too many recipients in a
transaction, is a temporary error and indeed should be given as 452,
and 2821 states that clients should consider it as such even when it
is a 552.

Giuliano