[exim] OT mailing lists, was Re: exim listen only on some IP…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Marc Haber wrote:

> Marc, who has been unsubscribed from my own mailing lists once for
> spamassassin rejects

I recognise the situation. I've been automatically unsubscribed from
various mailing lists when our mailer rejected an item of mail from
them for two particular kinds of reason:

1: rejecting spam, and
2: rejecting mail which they sent invalid header syntax.

Admittedly, our exim's only participation in this was in being rather
choosy about what kind of rubbish it is prepared to accept from
anywhere - mailing list or no mailing list ;-)

IMHO, the better mailing list processors send a final probe mail to
the registered subscription address, *without* a copy of the offending
item which was rejected, and only automatically unsubscribe the
registered address if the final probe is also rejected.

(Apologies for the digression.)