Re: [exim] exim 4 very slow relay

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dennis Davis
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] exim 4 very slow relay
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> From: Peter Bowyer <peeebeee@???>
> To: exim users <exim-users@???>
> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:29:45 +0000
> Subject: Re: [exim] exim 4 very slow relay
>
> On 03/03/06, Marco Mescoli <m.mescoli@???> wrote:
> > Newby
> > On message relay very long delay about 30 sec.
> > Tested exim4 with smtp client thunderbird.
> > It seems DNS query failure time but system DNS configuration
> > HOSTS file included is good ...
> > On telnet on port 25 Exim4 present itself with good verificable
> > hostname
>
> ident timeout delays. You almost certainly don't need ident for
> MUA/MSA transactions, so set
>
> rfc1413_query_timeout = 0
>
> in your Exim config.

Note the default timeout drops from 30 seconds to 5 seconds in the
next (4.61) release of exim.

I leave the rfc1413 query on for MTA --> MTA connections[1] and turn
it off for MUA/MSA connections with:

# We'll try and avoid RFC1413 lookups for client connections on
# the MSA and SMTPS ports. Ideally this would be done by setting
# rfc1413_query_timeout to zero for such connections. However this
# variable isn't expanded. So we'll set rfc1413_hosts instead.
rfc1413_hosts = ${if eq{$interface_port}{SMTP_PORT} {*}{! *}}
rfc1413_query_timeout = 20s

[1] I suspect this is one of the causes of the synchronisation
    errors I see in my logs.  Pump'N'Dump spammers are often in
    a *real* hurry to get their very important message across to
    you...
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@???               Phone: +44 1225 386101