Re: [exim] VRFY and LDAP defers

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Kendall Libby
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] VRFY and LDAP defers
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Kendall Libby wrote:

> We're setting up some Proofpoint demo boxes and using SMTP VRFY
> callouts to our exim (4.20) relays to verify recipients. It appears
> that when the LDAP server returns a DEFER, that the entire LDAP error
> (including search string, bind dn and passwd) are passed back to the
> Proofpoint box and nothing is logged by exim.

4.20 is an old release - dated May 2003. I suggest you upgrade to the
latest release (4.60), especially as this change was made for 4.50:

75. A backgrounded daemon closed stdin/stdout/stderr on entry; this
    meant that those file descriptors could be used for SMTP
    connections. If anything wrote to stderr (the example that came up
    was "warn" in embedded Perl), it could be sent to the SMTP client,
    causing chaos. The daemon now opens stdin, stdout, and stderr to
    /dev/null when it puts itself into the background.

This might not be what is happening in your case, of course. If you
still have the same issue with 4.60, repost the problem.