Re: [exim] Debugging 'Invalid base64 data"

Autor: Phil Pennock
A: Felix Brack
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Debugging 'Invalid base64 data"
On 2006-03-02 at 16:14 +0100, Felix Brack wrote:
> debugging features, I normally preferre these. Just for clarity: there
> is no debug option in exim that would enable showing things like
> username and password entered on the remote client during the SMTP
> session?

For this particular case: not that I know of. (Which doesn't mean as
much as it could ...)

Generally, it depends upon the authenticator; in theory, -d+auth should
return whatever the authenticator is willing to log.

The problem is that the debugging in auth_plaintext_server() is designed
to show you the _decoded_ data with comparisons against the prompts.
When the base64 decoding fails, it aborts. By comparison, the SPA
authenticator will show you the invalid base64 string with -d+auth.

Since you're after exactly what was passed in over an unencrypted
connection and you think that the problem might be related to an
application upgrade, you're safer to get the transported data directly.
No matter how excellent the application's debugging (and Exim's is
superior), it's still going to represent the view after some degree of
decoding and _potentially_ changes, such as stripping trailing nulls or
protecting your display from escape sequences, or something else. When
a basic protocol decode is being rejected, it's time to look at
something authoritative about what was actually sent.

-Phil