Re: [exim] message size

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim-users
Assumptes nous: Re: [exim] message size
Assumpte: Re: [exim] message size
On 3/1/06 6:23 AM, "Phil Pennock" <exim-users@???> wrote:

> On 2006-02-28 at 11:51 -0300, Diego Angelini wrote:
>> Actually, we have restricted the message size that exim can
>> proccess by message_size_limit directive.
>
> This value is advertised to the sender host in SMTP; you can change it
> based upon where someone connects _from_ but not by recipient: it's sent
> to the sender before the sender tells your system that it has a mail
> it'd like you to accept.
>
> You can do things with checking size limits in a RCPT ACL, but at this
> point you're going against the spirit of the email standards and against
> the established mechanism for handling size limits, so various email
> clients may fail ungracefully and you're risking causing more problems
> than you solve. Also, an email sender doesn't need to supply the size
> ahead of time and the server shouldn't reject the mail if the size is
> wrong, so you can only get the reliable real size at the end of DATA
> when you've already received the email.

I suspect the way to do this cleanly would be to have a separate MX address
for those domains which want extra large messages, and arrange to advertise
a different size limit when the connection comes on that alternate address.

Since the message_size_limit is an expanded string, it then becomes easy to
adjust it based on the address that was connected to.

--John