Re: [exim] LMTP over TCP - returning errors

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Pete Naylor
To: exim-users
題目: Re: [exim] LMTP over TCP - returning errors

Philip Hazel wrote...

> I found three bugs! Well, two bugs and one infelicity, I guess. This is
> the ChangeLog entry for the fixes:

This is great news for me - you've really made my day. Thank you very
much for looking into the problem so quickly.

> PH/52 Two bugs concerned with error handling when the smtp transport is
>       used in LMTP mode:

>       (i) Exim was not creating retry information for temporary errors
>       given for individual recipients after the DATA command when the
>       smtp transport was used in LMTP mode. This meant that they could
>       be retried too frequently, and not timed out correctly.

I think that probably covers the retry weirdness I'd noticed when testing.

>       (ii) Exim was setting the flag that allows error details to be
>       returned for LMTP errors on RCPT commands, but not for LMTP errors
>       for individual recipients that were returned after the DATA
>       command.

That's the main issue we had - woohoo!

> PH/53 This is related to PH/52, but is more general: for any failing
>       address, when detailed error information was permitted to be
>       returned to the sender, but the error was temporary, then after
>       the final timeout, only "retry timeout exceeded" was returned. Now
>       it returns the full error as well as "retry timeout exceeded".

That will certainly be helpful for over quota conditions - excellent :)

> I have committed the code for the fixes, so it will be in tonight's
> snapshot.

I will update our production Exim package in the next day or two.

> Incidentally, smtp_return_error_details has nothing to do with this. It
> is concerned with how much error detail to return when rejecting an
> incoming message.

I was confused about that. I don't think I really expected it to make a
difference in the problem I reported but I was trying to be thorough
before reporting it. Above, in PH/53 though, you mention "when detailed
error information was permitted to be returned to the sender" - how is
that information permitted if not by the smtp_return_error_details
setting?