[exim-dev] Documentation bug - retry rules

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Documentation bug - retry rules
Hej,

chapter 32.2[0] of the specification document says:
"After a 4xx SMTP response for a recipient address, the whole address is
used when searching the retry rules."

In chapter 32.4 then there's an example for "rcpt_4xx" errors, that reads:
"the.host.name rcpt_452 F,1h,10m"

IMO these two are contradicting, as chapter 32.2 (furthered by 32.3)
suggests that for 4xx recipient errors exim never uses the remote
hostname to find a retry rule. So either the example is a wrong one, or
chapter 32.2 should be clarified accordingly.

Wishlist Item:

Would it be a big hack to implement similar functionality (like
rcpt_452, and the wishlisted mail_452) for unexpected connection closes?
I.e. I'd need something that would match "Remote host ... closed
connection in response to end of data" errors. I'm seeing this from a
"Ikarus MailWall" protected host quite regularly.

lg,
daniel

[0]
http://exim.inode.at/exim-html-4.60/doc/html/spec.html/index.html#toc0259