Re: [exim] [Patch supplied] Exim enhancement request.

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Phil Pennock
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Dennis Davis
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] [Patch supplied] Exim enhancement request.
On 2006-02-24 at 14:57 +0000, Dennis Davis wrote:
> I'd only want to use this on a subset of mail folders. I'll give
> an example. Institutions often set up generic contact addresses.
> Making up some for this University, and the target mail folders
> on a Cyrus IMAP server, we might have:
>
> library-holdings@???  -->  user.library-shared.holdings
> library-survey@???    -->  user.library-shared.survey
> library-staff@???     -->  user.library-shared.staff

imapd.conf's "postuser" directive, to deliver to the shared folder
hierarchy; Exim rewrites to redirect LHS to shared.foo.bar; set the
"defaultacl:" directive in imapd.conf, to define the ACL for new
folders, so "defaultacl: anyone lrsp".

> ie the target mailboxes are subfolders of a pseudo-user,
> "library-shared".

Cyrus has explicit support for one pseudo-user, where all mail sent to
that user is delivered to a shared set of folders; you can use multiple
hierarchies. The only difference to end-users is that the top-level
prefix won't be "user." but whatever you choose instead, with multiple
different top-level prefices available. By default, the postuser is the
empty string, so you end up sending mail to "+top.second.folder".

You can then obviously use Exim to massage the LHS to the correct form
for going to the postuser; eg with "postuser: insert" you can have mail
going to foo-dept@ mapped by Exim to insert+list.foo-dept@; stuff for
library-* can be redirected to insert+library.* (eg, non-optional prefix
of library- on a redirect router with "data = insert+library.$local_part").

You might keep "shared" as a common prefix for all shared folders, so
with the default "" postuser you'd redirect to: +shared.library.staff

>                     Certainly administrators have mistakenly removed
> this access, resulting in time[1] being spent moving messages from
> the parent folder into the relevant subfolder.

Past a certain point, people with elevated privileges need training or
loss of access; if you're delegating administrator privs far enough down
the clue-chain that neither of these is effective, then perhaps a patch
to Cyrus to prevent removal of the "p" ACL bit from a protected
hierarchy, even by admins?
--
I am keeping international relations on a peaceable footing.
You are biding your time before acting.