Re: [exim] alias address composition

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] alias address composition
Jim Pazarena wrote:

> is there anywhere (an RFC for example) which indicates what
> letters/numbers/symbols
> are acceptable to be used within an alias email name?
>
> things like joe+suzy@
>            steve&anny@

> I for one refuse ":" and "," which I use as delimiters, and the pipes
> "^" & "|"
> but is there a list?
>
> I would appreciate learning this info.
>
> TIA

RFC 2821 and RFC 2822

Wikipedia has a summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address

Aliases should follow the same rules.

Note two things:

1) the 'local_part' of the e-mail address is commonly related to
the loginID, virtual user ID, or system user ID, but need not
be. It is only needed for travel across the 'smtp world'.

2) rules for what may appear in a quoted string are more lenient
than for what may appear in the email-address local_part.
Aside from FUBB'ing it, that is seldom of much value, because:

A) it is generally ignored for anything but an MUA label (on
which one may filter), but..

B) there is no guarantee it will be preserved, especially by
correspondents, i.e. - one may reply to a message from:

"His Imperial Majesty John Doe IV" <jdoe@???>

with simply: jdoe@???

Which, other than failing to close quotes or '<' and '>'
correctly, is about all the 'smtp world' really cares about.

HTH,

Bill