Re: [exim-dev] fopen(), umask, and file permissions

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] fopen(), umask, and file permissions
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Wakko Warner wrote:

> You're creating a file with mode 777 and later chmodding it.

No, I'm creating it with mode 000.

> I don't know the code that uses fopen, but it could also be possible that a
> file that already exsists with a specific mode gets it's mode clobbered.

These files should not exist - they are all "working files" used by the
content scanning code. Anyway, whether they exist or not, they should
all have the mode that is being set for them.

> One could use open(2) then fdopen(3), but again, I don't know the code well
> enough to know for sure.

That is another possibility, but it would involve decoding the second
argument of "fopen", and I'm not sure it is worth it.