Re: [exim] Setting up Exim for sending mails via SMTP usinga…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Chris Purves
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Setting up Exim for sending mails via SMTP usingauthentication
Hemanshu Narsana wrote:

> I am trying to set up a Twiki on Debian, and for registering users,
> sending out news, etc through the twiki, I need an MTA setup. The way I
> want this to be set up is like this:
>
> The mail server needs to catch mails sent by twiki, and then send them
> using our company's SMTP server (xxx.yyy.veritas.com). This SMTP server
> needs authentication (username & password). HOW do I set up exim to
> manage this and use our company's SMTP server to send out emails? I
> don't need exim to receive any emails, just send via this SMTP server.
> Any help will be highly appreciated!?

If that's all you want to do, then I don't think you need exim at all.
TWiki can connect to your SMTP server directly. Set SMTPMAILHOST in
TWikiPreferences. You'll need Net::SMTP perl module installed. You'll
have to do some searching on twiki.org to see if you can authenticate...

...if you can't authenticate (which may be the reason you want exim)
then you'll want to set up exim as a smarthost.

dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
select "mail sent by smarthost; no local mail"

I think you shouldn't have too much trouble finding info on that. Once
you've confirmed that exim can send mail through your company SMTP
server, then make sure SMTPHOST is emtpy in TWikiPreferences. It will
use /usr/sbin/sendmail to send mail, but Debian links /usr/sbin/sendmail
to /usr/sbin/exim4 so you don't need to make any changes for TWiki to
use exim instead of sendmail.

--
Good day, eh.
Chris