Re: [exim] Logging to stderr/stdout for multilog

Página Inicial
Autor: Vincent Danen
Para: Casey Allen Shobe
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [exim] Logging to stderr/stdout for multilog
* Casey Allen Shobe <lists@???> [2006-02-21 13:35:15 +0000]:

> > This is good to hear. My suggestion to Casey then would be to maybe
> > invesigate socklog as a replacement for syslogd and grab the mail.*
> > facility and put into an exim logging dir or something (which now that I
> > know can be done, I'll be doing myself).
>
> I'm already using metalog as a syslog replacement, but greatly prefer the
> multilog format. I have not looked at socklog before - but will play with it
> later.

Never tried metalog, but socklog is pretty nice. The advantage is that
it uses svlogd (like multilog) so all the logging is similar.

> One thing worth mention is that I don't really know whether I need -bdf or
> whether there's a better way - I just found that using -bdf instead of the
> -bd I found in my distribution's init script made it run in the foreground so
> that daemontools could control it. I'm very new to exim yet.

Well, my run script is pretty simple. I'd paste it, but it's using
execline (another shell interpretter that's much lighter than bash) so
it wouldn't make sense to you anyways, but the exim call is simply:

/usr/bin/exim -bd -d -q${QUEUE}

$QUEUE is defined by an ./env/QUEUE setting (typically 1hr iirc). I'm
ot sure what -bdf does; I don't see it in my manpage here. I use -d to
put it in debug mode which prevents it from forking itself.

> Good to see somebody else using runit - I use one of the utilities from it
> (chpst), and am considering switching a lot more over to it in the future.

I love runit. I can't imagine using ugly initscripts on my servers
anymore... they're ok for desktop use, but for a server, I definitely
prefer supervised services.

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"