RE: [exim] Opposite to $sender_address.

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: jori.hamalainen
Para: exim-users
Asunto: RE: [exim] Opposite to $sender_address.
Hi,

Two notes here, you are denying file extensions, would better option to be just accept certain file extensions. Like you seem to be happy to accept jpg & gif & doc & dot for example?

Another note, changing file extension for mail transfer is easy (rename *.exe to *.ex_). File Id field (=file magic number) is harder to change (because you need to change it back at receiving side for the file to be usable), so probably you should scan it? So I ask should Exim have $filemagic variable (sorry if there already is)?

With File ID-field I mean first bytes in actual file:
- Windows executable starts with MZ
- ZIP files with PK etc.
- PDF files with %PDF

URL to file magic: http://www.astro.keele.ac.uk/oldusers/rno/Computing/File_magic.html

Naturally this file magic is easy to read from MIME base64 without decoding the whole file. Just take minimum of 3 base64-chars and convert them to binary with 2 bytes. Then compare 2 bytes to a table, if more base64-decoding is done, fine, read more from input and add it to resolved magic number.

Eventually you see that if magic is "ff d8 ff e0" it is a JPEG file, and it should ok. If magic is "4D 5A" but extension is .jpg, it is most probably executable file with extension falsified. And on the message it might read "rename *.jpg to *.exe" and run this for a nice game.

It is harder to make instructions that open file in hex editor, change first four bytes to 4D5A0000 and change extension to *.exe and run it for good show.

Naturally this is not 100% proof but an idea..

Best regards,
Jori